Saturday, June 28, 2008

Citizens Patrol Charlotte Business District

According to this article (video also available at link), a Charlotte, NC resident has organized a citizens patrol:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Armed neighbors are now patrolling the Central Avenue business district in response to a shooting and three armed robberies at nearby businesses.

Overall, neighbors and police say the area is safe.

The Neighborhood Watch Alliance, started by Scott Yamanashi, includes nightly patrols from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Yamanashi says there are up to 20 members who wish to remain anonymous. Nearly all, he says, have conceal and carry permits and take their handguns with them during their patrols.
...
"If I take the law into my own hands then that would be vigilantism. But, under the Second Amendment I have the right to basically patrol my neighborhood and carry a firearm for my own protection," he said.

Yamanashi does not have a conceal-carry permit. He says even for members who do, their first action will be calling 911 if they see a problem.
I suspect the patrol would be a lot smaller if the patrol members didn't have the right to be armed for self-protection.

No comments: