Thursday, June 5, 2008

Angelina Jolie: "Self-Defense is Important"

Actress Angelina Jolie comes out in favor of self-defense, and says she and her significant other, Brad Pitt, own guns for defensive purposes:

Superstar Angelina Jolie is a fiercely protective mom. "If anybody comes into my home and tries to hurt my kids, I have no problem shooting them," she says. Spoken like a true bad-*ss mother (frankly, I'd defy any parent to deny they'd do the same to protect their kids).

Jolie, 33, who's expecting fraternal twin girls with hottie Brad Pitt, 44, says they have guns in their home to deal with harmful intruders. This makes sense, given their high profile and the millions of people who'd kill to get close to the Jolie-Pitts and their four adorable little kids. Indeed, rumors swirled months ago of a botched kidnapping attempt on their daughter, Shiloh, 2.

"Brad and I are not against having a gun in the house, and we do have one," Jolie tells London's Daily Mail. "And yes, I'd be able to use it if I had to. I could handle myself. I think there are certain combat skills that would come out....self-defense is important. Brad and I want our kids to learn it. They're going to get into a fight some day, so they might as well learn how to take care of themselves." [emphasis added]
It's rare to hear celebrities espouse the virtues of self-defense. I only hope that her support for self-defense and gun ownership rights is egalitarian, and not confined to only "special people" like herself.

No comments: