Saturday, January 2, 2010

Power to the (conservative) people

Via The Anchoress (whose post here is also worth reading), comes this link to an article in the American Thinker, written by that rarest and most endangered of creatures, a conservative in Berkeley, California:
As a Jewish child, I never celebrated Christmas. I found out what I was missing on Christmas Eve, 1973.

My high school boyfriend Brian invited me to join his family for their celebration. The event floored me. It wasn't just the illuminated tree, the music, and the pleasure of opening gifts. It was the power of the holiday to transform Brian's ordinary family.

Laughing, singing hymns, praying -- they were absolutely radiant. I had never seen them so joyful. And in their presence, I felt joyful, too.

That was my one and only Christmas experience, and it never occurred to have another one. But this year's Christmas felt different.

I'm now a conservative who has purchased her first Bible. I am blessed with many new conservative friends in person and online, most of whom are religious. Given that God has taken center stage in my life, I decided it was time to celebrate another Christmas.

Having been rejected by the Berkeley Episcopalians, I remained undeterred in my pursuit of a Christmas Eve service. I searched the internet and found a large Catholic church the next town over. My plan: come early and sit inconspicuously in the back row.

For one, I didn't want to make a fool of myself. I'd never been to church, and I had no idea what to do.

Also, I hadn't told my husband Jon that I was going, so I didn't want to bump into anyone we knew. While I felt bad not telling him, Jon rolls his eyes every time he sees me reading the Bible. I didn't want anyone raining on my parade.

With my plan firmly in place, I was as excited as a little kid about attending the 5:00 pm Family Mass. I couldn't wait to see the Nativity play, both for the adorable children and because I was a bit fuzzy on the plot. ...

Read the rest here.

No comments: