Sunday, March 1, 2009

Open carry and the Second Amendment

From an article by John Pierce, co-founder of OpenCarry.org, on the relationship between open carry and the Second Amendment:
Recently, I was doing an interview with an NBC affiliate in Texas regarding the initiative to decriminalize open carry in that supposedly gun-friendly state. I was discussing the fact that, despite Texas’ nationwide reputation as a bastion of rugged individualism, they are in fact, out of line with the vast majority of states where individual gun rights are concerned.

During the interview, the anchor asked me the question “What do you say to those 2nd Amendment supporters who oppose open carry?” I have been asked this question before and had always answered it by talking about the political and public policy benefits of open carry. However, it suddenly occurred to me that the question, as asked, made absolutely no sense. My answer, paraphrased for brevity, was “If you are a 2nd Amendment supporter then you are, by definition, a supporter of open carry because open carry is the right that the 2nd Amendment is enumerating!” ...

Read the rest here.

No comments: