Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Man jailed for gun in university-owned hotel

A man attending a conference and staying at a University of Georgia-owned hotel was arrested on a felony charge of gun possession in a "school safety zone".
Eric Dewayne Baylis, 45, said he didn't know that the hotel was owned by the University of Georgia, which put him in violation of a state law forbidding weapons within school safety zones.

Baylis, a maintenance worker with the Albany Housing Authority, was attending a four-day conference for the Georgia Housing Authority and Redevelopment Authority, held at the Georgia Center for Continuing Education Conference Center & Hotel on South Lumpkin Street.

His employers made the lodging arrangements and he had no idea the hotel is owned by UGA.

"I actually didn't know (it) was campus property," Baylis said Thursday, soon after posting a $2,000 bond to get out of jail.

"I carry my gun with me when I'm on the road traveling, and I took it out of my suitcase and just left it on the bed," Baylis said. "When the maid went through the room cleaning it and saw it, she told the manager, who called campus security." [emphasis added]

Article here. This is a good reminder for travelers to not leave your gun out in the open, even in your hotel room. And especially unattended. Apart from the potential for problems of the sort noted in the article, leaving a gun unsecured and unattended invites theft, and more importantly, increases the potential for a tragic accident by someone such as a maid who may come across the gun.

1 comment:

Big Gay Al said...

While I feel for the guy, he should also be charged with stupidity in the 2nd degree. There's just no way I leave my gun, lying in the middle of the bed in a hotel room. That's just inviting trouble.