Thursday, December 3, 2009

Tomato growing, the new career advice

From Jeff Clark, on his remarks to high schoolers on Career Day:
... "Every year, I'm asked about how best to prepare for a career in finance," I started my speech. "And for the past six years, I've suggested taking courses in statistics, human psychology, behavioral finance, and demographics. Today, however, I'm going to give you the same advice I've given my children, the same advice I've given my friends, the same advice for which people pay me thousands of dollars every year..."

I paused just long enough to notice the students were on the edge of their seats. The faculty, standing in the back of the room, stopped whispering to each other. The parents stopped texting on their Blackberries and sipping their lattes, anticipating the wisdom I was about to provide.

"If you want to be successful in life," I said, "learn to grow a frickin tomato."

I then explained to my audience how the government is devaluing the dollar, how the politicians are catering to the lowest common denominator of the population, how the "let's get everything I can for myself right now" society is leading to the destruction of this once-great country, and how if you want to take care of yourself and your family in the future... you need to learn to grow a tomato.

"Take care of yourself," I said...

Take responsibility for the welfare of your family and of your close friends. Don't count on the government. The Constitution of the United States of America does not guarantee health care. It doesn't guarantee home ownership. And it doesn't guarantee cash for clunkers.

You are not entitled to a prosperous life. You are not guaranteed to live better than your parents. In fact, yours is the first generation ever in the history of this great republic that will not do so.
...

Read it here.

No comments: